Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Pinkerton

I admit: I'm not a very big fan of the modern Weezer. But their first two albums are so god damn good that it's hard not to enjoy them every once in a while. While their debut, the Blue Album, was a complete commercial success and goldmine... I prefer the more looked down upon "retarded-twin-brother" sophomore album, Pinkerton.

This record means a lot to me because when I was a freshman in high school my first "band" played a cover of "The Good Life". I had never even listened to the song until the drummer told us we should play it. I was hooked immediately. It was completely different from their first album, and I can understand why they would want a different sound- making a follow up to a great album such as the Blue Album would be damn near impossible, and by going in a different direction made sense. To me, this is a better recording than Blue, but again, it's just my opinion.

Apparently the album is loosely based on an opera by Puccinni called Madama Butterfly. A lot of the lyrical topics and themes involve the Japanese, their culture, sex, sex with Japanese girls, etc etc. You can read more on Wikipedia if you're interested.

Anyway, here's "Butterfly" from Pinkerton.

13 comments:

  1. weezer probably hasn't been good since like 2001, but the blue album and pinkerton were both solid, solid releases. miss the good old days of the alt/grunge lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something happened to them after the millennium hit....their music isn't what it used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pinkerton has never been beaten, hurley made me hurl

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry even after all that has been said, i find weezer just too douchey. i mean come on my mom listens to that

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw Weezer in concert once. They put on a good show!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They don't really have the same appeal as they used to

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least their newest album was listenable, Raditude and The Red Album were god awful. Pinkerton was easily their best though.

    ReplyDelete